TORMEK Self-centering Knife Jig KJ-45
We have great news, this time for all you knife sharpening enthusiasts out there! We have just made two new products official. Namely two new, self-centering, patented knife jigs!
We are taking Pre-orders for delivery in June 2022 when limited quantities will first be available.
The new knife jigs are called KJ-45 Centering Knife Jig and KJ-140 Wide Centering Knife Jig. As you can tell by their names, they have some things in common with the previous knife jigs, but these new jigs will center the blade of the knife in the clamp of the jig, no matter the thickness or geometry of the blade.
The new jigs come with a couple more intriguing features too!
- They have two fixed stops which provides for sharpening a wider range of blade heights.
- Sharpening with a controlled motion between these two stops allows for a convex bevel.
- The handle is made from durable composite which glides smoothly on the universal support and reduces the weight.
- The majority of the weight is now focused to the clamp, which provides a better sharpening experience.
But most importantly, these new jigs will give you an even better result with symmetrical bevels.
With Tormek's patented KJ-45 Centering Knife Jig, you'll get symmetrical bevels with the same angle on both sides of the knife, regardless of the thickness or geometry of the blade. Whether you're sharpening a regular kitchen knife or a thicker, tapered hunting knife, you'll get the same results on both bevels of the knife without needing to reset the jig. The KJ-45 Centering Knife Jig fits most types of knives: household knives, chef's knives, craft knives and knives for hunting and fishing. It also works for the woodcarver's straight drawknives and the gardener's pruning shears.
Why KJ-45 Centering Knife Jig?
- Centers the knife in the jig for optimal, symmetrical results.
- Centers tapered knives and holds them firmly.
- An extra stop for tall knives, such as cleavers.
- Ability to shape a slightly convex edge with a movement between the two stops.
- Robust design – zinc-cast clamps and durable composite handle.
- Well-balanced – most of the weight is focused to the clamps, which provides a more balanced feel when sharpening.
- Slides smoothly with low friction against the universal support.
- Works with both Tormek T-4 and Tormek T-8, as well as older models.
Centering for symmetrical sharpening
When you mount your knife in the KJ-45 Centering Knife Jig, the knife self-centers in the jig, whatever its thickness or geometry. This means that the jig centers everything from the thinnest knives to knives with a thickness of up to 10 mm. It also means that knife blades that taper off from back to edge and heel to tip are centered in the jig, providing symmetrical grinding on both bevels of the knife. Easy setup, perfect results.
Because the KJ-45 Centering Knife Jig is positioned with the stop resting freely against the universal support, you are able to follow the shapes of the knife, always guided by the universal support as a reference point. This makes it possible to sharpen knives with different blade shapes, from craft knives to recurve knives and classic chef's knives.
Fits most knives
The KJ-45 Centering Knife Jig centers knife blades up to 10 mm thick. You can sharpen knives with blades down to 60 mm (2 3/8") long and 12 mm (8/16") tall. For smaller knives, you can combine the knife jig with the SVM-00 Small Knife Holder, which enables you to sharpen even your very smallest knives. The KJ-45 Centering Knife Jig has an extra stop that makes it possible to sharpen really tall knives, such as cleavers. In combination with the US-430 Universal Support Extended, you can sharpen even taller knives or tools.
For knives with long and flexible blades, such as filleting knives, there is the KJ-140 Wide Centering Knife Jig, which stabilizes flexible blades for even and symmetrical results.